Matt Hoss Weekly Odyssey: WEEK 1

Each week (on every FRIDAY)  I will add 5 songs to my playlist, which is available on Spotify. 
They are five different songs from artists I really love from a eclectic range of sources.  From that, I'll avoid using the same artists twice and focus to show you lots of new music I'm ddiscovering and some of my favourites from the vaults. There should be a range of quality tracks updated weekly. Follow it on Spotify.


This blog just chats a little bit about the songs and why I chose them. It's a little extra depth to the tracks and some context to them. I also put the youtube links up here if you want to listen to them. 


WEEK 1
1)  Red Fang - Cut It Short
This is a  really new song for me. I heard about it from comedian Ed Gamble on the Elis James and John Robins Podcast (on the Keep It Sessions). I love the meaty opening riff and the coolness sustains throughout the whole song. This song sounds like it would be ace to watch live.

It's a great metalsong as it's very listenable and it's cohesive to lots of other styles of music. Red Fang's other work is a lot heavier than this (but still the same level of quality). I like this song moreso than the others as you can listen to it anytime in the day (whereas with other metal songs, you have to be in the right mood for it. I can't listen to Machine Head before going to bed).

This is a great song for a trailer for a cool film. FACT.



2)  Neko Case/ K.D. Lang/ Laura Veirs - Best Kept Secret

You may see a pattern emerging. I first heard about Neko Case on the Elis James and John Robins Podcast (This blog is essentially a one-man effigy to EJ & JR). Neko Case is a brilliant singer-songwriter. In 2016 she collaborated with these other two amazing singer-songwriters to create the album Case/Lang/Veirs. It's very chilled and top quality. The harmonies are seriously beautiful.

Best Kept Secret This is one of my favourite and the probably the fastest BPM on the album. Here is the live version.



3) Black Stone Cherry - Like I Roll
This is one  I discovered myself (Thank god) when I was a teenager. I used to be (and I am to a smaller degree) a massive Black Stone Cherry fan. Listening to this sweet and sentimental song really brings back a lot of touching memories and those confusing days of adolescence and this song was a part of that journey
Black Stone Cherry have a lot in their repertoire. They really mix hard rock with stunning vocals alongside a genuine sweetness. Like I Roll is one of the nicest songs on their Third album which is an absolutely stellar album (do check it out: "Between The Devil and The Deep Blue Sea". Like I Roll is a nice (Black Stone) Cherry on top of an excellent cake.





4) Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Too Much Time
Yeah. sorry. I heard from Captain Beefheart from John Robins. Deal with it. However, I really did stumble upon this gem by mistake. I had only heard a handful of CBaHMB. It appeared on a Spotify playlist and I was instantly taken to it. It has charming lyrics, a lovely horn section and Captain Beefheart really shows the romance within his soul. 

Best of all - this song sounds like it could be a Guardians Of the Galaxy film. This has been my song of the week (it's very new to me!). I love this song.




5) Childish Gambino - Sober
I started to get into Childish Gambino's work about two years ago. I started watching Community and a lot of the people on the internet mentioned how amazing Childish Gambino was. I thought Gambino was just a rapper and I wasn't too interested. However, my curiousity did the correct thing and checked out some his amazing work. Gambino has such a range of vocal skills. In the "Awaken My Love" album is truly outstanding and a fully fledged funk album with some really interesting pieces.. However on the KAUAI ep is a far more poppier album. Sober is the opening track and a true test of how enticing Childish Gambino can be in any genre of music. 




Remember to tune in next week! 

Comments

Popular Posts